Collection: part1

Reflection

by A KIM

10 september

Describe the research process its importance for generating original ideas.

When I design something , I could  have broader idea based on research,  with researching follow a linked link, i can get something different, and it seems to deepen and broaden my thinking about works.

How could your reflection feedback into and strengthen your research process?

Every time I do reflection, I sometimes have time to go back to the day like a daily diary,
That's why I can always check on my work, as I am preoccupied and thinking that helps me to check if there are missing ideas or to prevent not to going wrong.

How could working in a team enable the generation of original concept ?

Understanding Concessions and Discussions

12 september

At first, our team got the theme of neoprene, polytheism, layer and made mind map of each feature.

• I have found that the keywords that the layer has are the accumulation of space, the scale, the gap between them, the limited, the contradictions, and the many points that make up them come together to become one side and to form the space.
  • Neoprene is a popular material for wetsuits, and because my grandmother is a HAE-NYEO which is Korean women fisher ,so  I was familiar with the material. It keeps the temperature from cold water, protects somebody from scratches, made of rubber, also hard to make sharp or straight shape with the material, so I caught the keyword that Neoprene has a nearly rounded silhouette. 
  • The last topic is POLYTHEISM.It was the first time to hear that words. The keyword was diversity, acknowledgment of difference, coexistence, and it was common in shinto ,Ancient Egyptian religion and ancient Rome.I am not familiar with this word ,so I decided to have more research.

The common image was protection.

So I researched POLYTHEISM, there are different kinds of religions in Shinto, ancient Egypt, and hinduism,

eventually  praying to the gods to protect themselves from them is marginal phenomenon, to comfort the dead gods and to live with them Coexistence, and then Ancient Egypt, even though the gods were divided into major and minor gods, did not discriminate between them, and they all co-existed together. These results gave me a deep impression. It is also a society, and it has been understood that strong and weak are compatible with each other in order to maintain it, so that they understand and respect the differences and continue the Union.

This also shows that a lot of different points are gathered in the layering, and that they are gathered to make space and layered, and that neoprene is also different in the chemical properties of the different elements, but they are gathered together to make a unique material, In each case, one element that has different properties is gathered and stacked so that it becomes something new.

The keywords were coexistence, protection, understanding, and I was researching a little more about gods, and the Indian god of kama brought me the word love.

When you understand, coexist, and protect, you need love. It was a condom to imply all that. When I have sex, my opponent uses a tool called condom because he want to protect and understand  if they love me.

13 september

KakaoTalk_Photo_2017-10-06-14-13-10.jpeg.1

Today I did a research on the material Neoprene, and found it interesting that it was chemically interesting that it could be more sensitive and tearable as pressure went up, which I likened to a society I searched for yesterday, It was also protecting and coexisting with other elements of chemical substances gathering together to become a new one and maintaining the own conditions. And condoms were similar in their properties when pressure was applied.
i tried various experiments conducted with condom today.

14 september

Reflect on your presentation what would you change? (what in your opinion,makes a successful presentation of ideas?)

I though we should research about condom but my group told me other good ideas related to coexistence but I understand it sucessfulI thought too much about our project too straightforward, but the other people  were approaching it more,So I tried to imagine it rather than my deep thought.My group offered good ideas related to coexistence during the discussion session but my idea based on condom was chosen at the end. Although the ideas shared during group conversations were valuable the approaches that they were taking were slightly basic for my taste. but my English skill was too bad and I missed my ideas well and I need to increase my English ability.

Reflection on the process : what are the pros &cons of working as part of a team?

The disadvantage is that listening to various ideas and disadvantages could not directly express my opinion.

19 september

KakaoTalk_Photo_2017-10-10-01-18-34.jpeg.1

Construction Terminology-JACKET

welt pockets-welt pocket.png

These pockets often have reinforced piping along the slit of the pocket, appearing perhaps as an extra piece of fabric or stitching. Besom pockets are found on a tuxedo jacket or trousers and may be accented with a flap or button closure.

lapel-

Lapels are the folded flaps of cloth on the front of a jacket or coat, and are most commonly found on formal clothing and suit jackets. Usually they are formed by folding over the front edges of the jacket or coat and sewing them to the collar, an extra piece of fabric around the back of the neck.

There are three basic forms of lapels: notched, peaked and shawl. Notched lapels, the most common, are usually seen on business suits. Peaked lapels are more formal, and nearly always used on double breasted jackets, but it also frequently appears on single breasted ones . Shawl lapels are usually carried by dinner jackets, mess jackets and tuxedos

dart-download.jpeg

collar stand-

In clothing, a collar is the part of a shirt, dress, coat or blouse that fastens around or frames the neck. Among clothing construction professionals, a collar is differentiated from other necklines such as revers and lapels, by being made from a separate piece of fabric, rather than a folded or cut part of the same piece of fabric used for the main body of the garment.

front panel -

facing-In sewing and tailoring, facing is a small piece of fabric, separate or a part of the fabric itself, used to finish the fabric edges. Facing makes a garment look professionally finished with the seams well hidden inside the folds of the facing. Facing is mostly used to finish the edges in necklines, armholes, hems and openings. They are also used widely in all other sewing like quilts and home decor items like curtain hems.

lining-

Tailored_sport_coat_partial_lining.jpg 

sewing and tailoring, a lining is an inner layer of fabric, fur, or other material inserted into clothing, hats, luggage, curtains, handbags and similar items.

Linings provide a neat inside finish and conceal interfacing, padding, the raw edges of seams, and other construction details. A lining reduces the wearing strain on clothing, extending the useful life of the lined garment. A smooth lining allows a coat or jacket to slip on over other clothing easily, and linings add warmth to cold-weather wear.

button-Reserveknapper_til_Hans'_uniform.jpg

binding-In sewing, binding is used as both a noun and a verb to refer to finishing a seam or hem of a garment, usually by rolling or pressing then stitching on an edging or trimback

panel-

sleeves-  A sleeve  is the part of a garment that covers the arm, or through which the arm passes or slips. The pattern of the sleeve is one of the characteristics of fashion in dress, varying in every country and period. Various survivals of the early forms of sleeve are still found in the different types of academic or other robes.cuff-

patch-barbour-olive-wool-tweed-elbow-patch-jacket-product-3-14354551-833638189.jpeg

vent-a slit up the back of a jacket or coat

21 september

What new techniques, processes or ways of thinking , Did you encounter this week.?

Because of this project , i learnt which is not necessary to use similar forms or externally similar things when expressing material.the material given to us in this project is using paper the fact that it is bent to the inner nature of neoprin.

How do you plan to use these to inform future work?

Love coexistence is my keyword, and as a result, the core of this project has become a condom, and I want to express something that expresses the depth of love and a wide sense of embracing.

What were the benefits of the structure of this week (3 projects day)

I could hear more opinions because of the group project, and I realized that there is a variety of thoughts on one subject.

what were the drawbacks?

It seems that the weakness of the group project is that all of my opinions and arguments are expressed and not realized.

25 september

Today, I reconstruct the jacket, do an observation drawing and found that there were many components to make a jacket, and I also draping jackets on the body today, but the jacket was made of thick cloth and it was hard to plug the pin. I need to practice and learn from these basic skills.

27 september

KakaoTalk_Photo_2017-10-16-16-46-19.jpeg

When combining   materials/process , what did you consider?

When I reconstruct the jacket and relocated it, I tried to find something more interesting.

Not only i  tried to use a cloth that gave a different feeling to the tailoring jacket, but also it was the most focused on the structure.

did your observational drawing influence your jacket reconstruction?

In order to do the drawing, I looked at the details of the jacket and found the points of the jacket which passed unconsciously.

What did you learn from the exhibition presentation +your peers

I knew that I needed to consider not only my work but also the surrounding environment when I gave the presentation. What I remember is to display works by putting up works in the exhibition. It seems that such a small part leaves a strong impression on people

Who influenced your design direction within your research?

christian dior

29 september

work shop

I went to school because it was a 3D induction , and at first I learned how to make a polyster, how to use it, how to clean it, and then I learned how to use iron and wood handling machines. Among them, the most interesting thing about me is the polyster
With these technologies, I thought that I should use various things instead of being limited to the fabric.KakaoTalk_Photo_2017-10-16-16-45-58.jpeg

30 september

The idea of ​​finishing the jacket project: When I look at the jacket, I think about the shape of gourments or rather the overall color and weight of the design has come out with something feminine rather than the textures of the clothes,  I always have a design that emphasizes the waist. I will study and draw deeply the pelvic hips in the body and waist of a person in order to make clothes with more expertise here in the future.

1 oct

This time, the students who came from csm MA showed their research and the results of solving it. in this project we had to choose something traditional or era and do research on it and go to school, and I usually do research on the "roaring 20s" of the 1920s, which I am most interested in. In fact, i liked the style that they worn at that time the most, but as i researching more and more i found that, there was a deeper meaning. Before that they were feminine with corsets, women were prohibited from drinking and smoking. But after World War I, women's thoughts are going to die and I want to express what I want to do and they want to eat, so they take off their corsets and turn into a kind of flapper look. I went deeper into researching where their pressure was corset, the war that hurts shock and mind, and where their rebellion came from459px-Padiographie_du_corset_cambr%C3%A9_devant_%28dos%29.jpg.1

2 oct

KakaoTalk_Photo_2017-10-10-21-32-57.jpeg.2

we made drawings and collages in various ways during class, and then we made 3D objects by putting textile elements as a result. And we took a picture that well-metched the work of each of them. For me, the legs are a soft but something rough object, so I mix and match colors and textures, and experimented a lot I was praised for drawing and stereoscopic images, and I was so nervous about taking more pictures, but it was a bit disappointing because I thought it would be better to put in a 3D textual aspect as well.

5 oct

One of object's brought own textiles, or externally its design side and atmosphere into one, finally we were displaying the textiles. I did not get to school yesterday cause I was algesic so I could not make 15 color samples. today I just made the final pieces of textiles three. I watched the people' textiles and got inspired how to use various materials. What I felt today is that I should never miss school even if I hurt my school.

Image

7 oct

From today, 4 people will be in a group, each one will  draw one of their favorite projects and make one film with 10 images. We decided to use the Internet as the theme of the concept of the linking each other. I will study a little more film and ,express the flapper's laughing and dancing photographs with holes of cigarettes, increasingly emphasizing their empty minds and saying that nothing .I will finally make a gourment With their duality one will express heavy and pressure of smething and one will show a light .

Image

10 oct

today i have to make sure that finish my work and fill a2 sheet until 3 pm . so i was get research by the flapper and I learned a little more about them. I wanted to express the appearance of getting out of the pressure they were under by removing the corset, so I studied through various illustrations. And when I was participate in a group critic, thay said i have to put more write in my sketchbook so that people could get to know a little more about my work, and that the colors and work methods I used were good. I think I need to do some sort of sketchbook weekend.

12 oct

Today was the day of the presentation, and we gathered each film together and put together with the rainbow tv effect. And I put the image of clicking on our video by recording it in the computer, it was praised in that part, but the sound was hardly heard because we did not test it before we announced it. I felt sorry for our hard work, but I thought I would be prepared for everything in the future.

14 oct(BALENCIAGA V&A)

Victoria and albert museum
In fact, balenciaga went to see the exhibition, and there was a fashion based on London as well as the old 1800s ,1920s and there are several designer who have been working on these days. I also had a firm taste here, which is the emphasis on the waistline. the most impressive thing was the severe shapes in the shoulder line.(oversized,curvy) It is good to have a pattern, I am inspired by the curvature that stands out the femininity and the modest way to go with it. I did not realize that Valencia was the basis of every haute couture, and my favorite designers were almost influenced by him. I learned about the flat pattern in the past, so i know it is never simple and easy, but he made a new pattern and made a new type of clothes. The thing that impressed me the most was the cape and the skirt, It is trying.
Maybe the charm of Valencia is clear.

Balenciaga was born in 1895 in the Basque region of northern Spain. It is now a century since he founded his fashion house in San Sebastian, and 80 years since his move to Paris. Rather than a full retrospective, Shaping Fashion focuses on the designer’s last decades, a period during which he knocked out an astonishing series of innovations: the sack-dress, trapeze-hemmed babydoll frocks, a one-seam coat, a tie-on skirt that could be worn as a cape, long puffball evening dresses that billowed like clouds. We tend to read fashion as an endless series of repetitions, references and rehashes – Balenciaga’s output in the Fifties and Sixties was a rare instance of a designer creating something completely new, and then doing it all over again the next season.

Not only are the garments in the exhibition sitting still and looking pretty on mannequins, but they are brought to life, displayed on rotating stands and displayed alongside videos and fascinating x-rays images.i was impressed with the x-ray images .

The x-ray images were created with artist Nick Veasey, intended to show the multi-layered structural designs of Balenciaga’s garments. Beneath the clothes’ surfaces, dress weights and boning in the dress bodices can be seen to carefully manipulate the way that the garments surround the body in ingenious, almost gravity-defying shapes.

15 oct

Today, I have supplemented my sketchbook. My sketchbook has almost  rough drawing, so I will have to use sophisticated drawing techniques from now on. I make more efforts to express the mood of my work. We see that ideas are becoming more and more dynamic rather than longevity every time a page is filled. From now until the end of this week,i will make all the projects we've done so far to the very end of the final.

A KIM
13 September 2017, 12:05 AM
A KIM
13 September 2017, 12:48 AM [Updated: 13 September 2017, 12:51 AM]
2 comments